Monday, December 14, 2009

Those who honor Him, He will Honor

In chapter 2 of Samuel this was said to ELI: Therefore the LORD, the God of Israel, declares:(A) 'I promised that your house and the house of your father should go in and out before me forever,'(B) but now the LORD declares: 'Far be it from me, for those who honor me I will honor, and those who despise me shall be lightly esteemed.
THOSE WHO HONOR ME I WILL HONOR
THOSE WHO DESPISE ME SHALL BE LIGHTLY ESTEEMED...another version says disdained
The Websters definition of disdain says, " To regard or treat with haughty contempt; despise"
Eli was a man who had seen the goodness of the Lord in his family line but due to his sons wicked ways and his inability to discipline them God said he would cut short his family line and that noone would die an old man...
I often think of the promises we receive and how we take them for granted without remembering the possible wrath of God. To honor the Lord is to give him the glory deserved and we as fallen creatures constantly fall short. Even more we often dont care. We have been given the promise of salvation, and neglected the call to discipleship. People dont like to see this wrathful side of God, but would it really make sense for a God who is LOVE to rejoice in evil? Good and Evil don't seem to coincide. Evil is a LACkING of good. My prayer is that you will honor him with your words, your deeds, your thoughts, and YOUR WHOLE LIVES. That is when this LOVE we speak of so constantly becomes real and we actually experience it rather than merely rejoice at the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment