Monday, February 15, 2010

motives

Ive been thinking through the concept of intentions. I think identity breeds intentionality. Wherever your identity lies you will be intentional in doing whatever it takes for your identity to be strengthened. Before I go further with this post I must specify that what we say our identity is found in and what it really is are not typically the same thing...Proverbs 20:5 says the purposes of a mans heart are deep waters; but a man of understanding draws them out. This being said i cant believe that very often we pursue drawing out our motives often. We typically just do. That said if my identity is found in how others perceive me I will stop at nothing until i promote a perception I deem worthy. If your identity is found in a boy or a girl you will stop at nothing to have a relationship you deem worthy enough to strengthen your idea of yourself. If my identity is found in Christ I would stop at nothing to know him more. The more I know what defines me the clearer the definition. Does my life reflect Christ inside and out? If not it is hard to say that I am truly found in him. If i worry and fret constantly about tests and school I can confidently say my idea of myself is wrapped up in my ability to perform. Identity breeds intentionality. What are you intentional about and why? On the surface the intentions may seem good but maybe we should find out the underlying cause for seeking out certain things. Proverbs 16:2 says all a mans ways seem innocent to him but the Lord sees the motive. I know often I want people to know how strong my walk with Christ is which plays into the way i seek out knowledge and wisdom when in reality if I were truly rooted in love I would seek God always bc he is worthy. Plain and simple he is worthy...WE often worship the things of God and forget that HE alone satisfies..May you check your heart. Test your motives. and Seek the Lord for he is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment